July 17, 2011

We're back!

We got back from Siguepateque yesterday evening, so happy to see my boys! My inlaws spoil us, not only did they watch the boys but they brought them back here so they would be here when we got home! AND all the boys clothes were washed and folded and we came home to some great BBQ. Thanks Oma and Grandad. Another thing...when we got back I had a voicemail from our case manager and our dossier was sent off while we were away - yay!! We are praying for a speedy referral so we can begin the next round of paperwork.

I have a little time this morning, the boys are at chucrh with Kurt. I am home with a stomach bug....better here than in Honduras! I am going to start on Monday of our trip as Sat and Sunday were "fun" days, getting to know the grounds of the seminary, going to church and having some fun doing the zip line at a park. I'll post those days at the end of the trip. On Monday we got up and ate breakfast, it was served at the seminary - we ate brekafast, lunch and dinner there. The food was great and there was always some fresh fruit which was also GREAT. That morning the guys went to the church to start the addition of a bathroom. Most of the women and children went to Isabella's house, a widow, and we painted most of the morning. The walls there soak up the paint so after one coat we began to paint again since we had time before lunch. Then Mark (our missionary friend who lives there, planned the trip for us etc) picked up Kurt, Braden and I to go back to the seminary to visit our Compassion child David. He and his mother (along with a few compassion reps) came all the way from Danli (about 3+ hours) so see us - we were thrilled! Braden and I were a mess - hands and jeans covered in paint! When we pulled up David immediately hugged us and introduced us to this mother. The interpreter was great, we all cleaned up and headed out to a local restaurant (we ate there on Sunday and knew it was close) and treated them to lunch. I'm not sure if they ever eat out, my guess is no....so that was a fun treat! They all picked desserts to go home with them. When we got back to the seminary the rest of our team was there having lunch and heading off to VBS at a local church. We stayed behind and visited a while longer. We were given some crafts from David that he worked hard on, it was very sweet. We also gave him a loaded backpack (pencils, paper, rulers, sharpeners, Uno game, lego set, an Aggie t-shirt etc) and a few other things. We gave his mom, Margarita (I was good about saying her name in Spanish as opposed to a Texan in a Mexican restaurant!) a loaded shopping bag with more necessities (towels, washclothes, cooking utensils and I did get her some nice lotion for herself). It was a wonderful visit and I am so thankful they made the trip to see us. It was amazing to finally meet him as we have known him through letters since he was 5 (now 13). Hopefully it won't be the last time we get to see him in person.
This is Isabella's house (the widow). This is considered pretty big in this area, it has 4 rooms (2 bedrooms, living area and small kitchen) and a bathroom with running water/electricity.


The guys are showing them how to sifting the sand/dirt properly. Once it's sifted they take the sand and mix it with cement and water to make mortar. They are tiling the porch outside. This is by far the nicest house we worked on the entire time we were there.


Braden and I, painting the kitchen


Braden and Hannah painting. The other little boy is David.




Isabella and her two oldest daughters were helping us paint. Isabella's husband helped to fabricate metal buildings for churches all over Honduras but he was murdered about a year and a half ago.




Kurt played soccer and basketball with David...Braden watched most of the time while I visited with Margarita and the Compassion ladies.




David Lopez - 13 years old.




All of us just before they left....such a special photo. I will be sending him a copy as well!

No comments: