Sunday was palm Sunday, people here all make rings out of
palm leaves and wear them. When we got to the orphanage Berihu had made us all
a ring at church. Today was similar to the last, we hung out, played card
cards, played soccer and let him have some time on the kindle. We played some
learning games and it was neat to find out some of what he can do in English,
he is pretty sharp ;) He can do
addition, subtraction and some multiplication, we counted by 5’s. I’m impressed,
it’s nice to know we are not starting right at the beginning, he has a decent
English base. I figure by end of summer he’ll be fluent, or close to it!
We left the orphanage early on this day, I guess to give the
kids time with the nannies before they leave the following day, not sure I
didn't understand why but it was fine. This gave us a chance to go out and do a
little shopping, we bought Berihu a bible in his native language, Tirgayana. On
our way to visit an old castle (which is now a hotel) we hopped out of the car
and took one of the little taxis. Two things Truitt wanted to do was ride the
taxi and swim….today we did both. After a little wondering around we went back
to the hotel and Truitt swam for a little bit, it was pretty cold but he had
fun. We went to bed early since we needed to be downstairs at 5:30.
Truitt lost his first tooth. In Ethiopia it is tradition to throw it on the roof but he decided to keep it and put in under his pillow. I left a dollar and 1 birr on his side table, when he woke up and saw it he said "thanks mom". Made me laugh :)
Lots of ball games were played
We played UNO a lot, Berihu and the other kids really like it.
Truitt really wanted to ride in the little taxi...since we're such awesome parents we made that happen ;)
I thought he'd be more excited?! He had fun though.
The castle/hotel







No comments:
Post a Comment